Thursday 2 April 2015

Do the buildings, age and area of institutions matter?

I never seriously pondered on this question unless I did my graduation and applied for post graduation program. I applied in almost 4 universities for MBA and also for Masters in English Literature as I had English Literature as one of the majors during my graduation. By the grace of Allah Almighty, I got admission in all 4 universities i.e Bahria university Islamabad,  Nust Rawalpindi, Punjab University Lahore and Government College University Lahore.

My parents and I sat together to discuss the best option and then after much pondering, I decided it had to be Government College University Lahore.Candidly, on my part, the main reason was its beautiful large campus , its reputation and lush green grounds. You really feel like you are in a university when you step inside its gate. Moreover, it has such a rich history.GCU was built in 1864 and it has produced some of the prominent names of our country like the great Allama Iqbal and nobel prize winner Dr Abdul Salam.


GCU tower and its building mesmerised me and I realized that I have to study there no matter what. The grandeur and the rich culture of the university infatuated me. Such is the impact of old and beautiful institutions that it is difficult for any modern new institution to surpass them.

Now when I had to select a suitable school for my six year old daughter ( having completed her preschool) , I knew I had to select a reliable well established school with a big building because kids apart from academics need playgrounds and swimming pools for excursion. I do believe that big schools give students a psychological edge too as they learn to thrive in greater competition as big schools usually have a large number of students plus large faculty in addition to a variety of extra curricular activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment