Wednesday 14 November 2018

World Kindness Day: Let's appreciate kindness!

13th November is celebrated as World Kindness Day all over the world! We all talk about how and in what ways we can be kind to one another but rarely we talk about how to appreciate kindness. Appreciating acts of kindness is as important as doing it. Have you noticed even birds chirp when you feed them food? It's their way of being happy and appreciate goodness.


Do you remember the top 5 moments when you were amazed by others' acts of kindness? Or acts of kindness that helped you in a  certain  situation? I started thinking and I must admit, it took me quite a while because in our always talking about being kind to others , we forget that we should also appreciate those who were  kind to us! Kindness is contagious but in a good way like if somebody was being  kind to you, it certainly would have pushed you towards  being kind and helpful to others!

I thought and compiled a list of 5 incidents where strangers' acts of  kindness helped me:

1.Lost my wallet
I remember that day we were coming back from hospital and my ultrasound report was not right as there were strong signs of miscarriage so obviously as I was very worried, while getting out of the car I dropped my wallet on the road. We ate at the restaurant and while getting out of the restaurant, we realized that my wallet is not with me.So my husband asked the guard if he had seen any wallet and thankfully, he had the wallet with him all secure. He told us that he  had decided that if nobody comes to ask for the wallet, he would go tomorrow to deliver the wallet himself as my identity card was in the wallet . We were super impressed by the guard's kindness.

2.Giving me her place
It was my daughter's parent teacher meeting and the lady ahead of me in the queue gave me her place as a lot of parents wanted to meet the concerned teacher so she asked me that as you are holding a baby so you can go before me! Her saying this made such a  nice impression on my mind that whenever I see her (while dropping off and picking my daughter from school ), the incident comes into my mind!

3. Moving us up the queue
We were travelling to Thailand and it was the first time we were going on a vacation with our 2 year old baby. We were standing in a long queue at Bangkok airport and suddenly an airport official came and asked us to follow him! Of course,  we got scared as what's the matter.The people around us also started staring at us. What the security official did was that he took us to the very start of the queue because we had a baby with us! We were indeed very pleased.
Thai people generally are very kind towards kids as this is what we found throughout our ten day vacation. There were always people around to help us whether we needed somebody to pull down the stroller from an elevation or in case our baby cried, people used to offer  candies.

4. My daughter's school card thrown out of the car's window!
It's my daughter school's policy that they don't allow to a child to go home if parent or whoever comes to pick her up hasn't got the school card. Few days back, my toddler son threw the card out of car's window and I got so tensed as I would have to get a new card made from the school office.The very next day as I asked the school guard about the card, he told me that yesterday a child saw the card on the road and returned it at the school office.  I was so relieved to having spared myself from the hassle!:)

5. Got my wedding ring back
You must be wondering now that why kindness is all about the lost and found things(lol). But these are the incidents that came into my mind instantly. I am sure there are many more! :)
We were on our flight to Malaysia when I forgot my wedding diamond ring in the washroom. And the good part is that I realized it soon that something is missing on my finger. When I told the air hostess, she told me that somebody had just given her that ring saying that it was found on the sink.

So kindness is all about being honest , nice , caring and considerate . I am so happy that it is being taught to kids now in school. My daughter's school is having kindness week and they have to write an act of kindness daily. I think that's a great idea to inculcate kindness in our future generations ! So be kind and let's appreciate kindness all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment